I like my collection of pictures of old boats and boat engines - but was at a loss initially as to how to present these in a coherent way. Ideally I would pick out a few and blow them up - but this doesn't reflect the integrity of the collection as a whole.
I therefore was looking for a strategy to accommodate the whole collection. I was unhappy with the lack of uniform "high" quality/resolution in the whole collection. The photographs are variable in size, resolution and composition. Everything that can vary in a photograph seems to vary in this collection.
I therefore decided to impose some uniformity on them.
I photocopied the photographs to make them all black and white. I then experimented with enlarging some of them by several hundred percent so that the pixels separate.
I also shredded some of the smaller photos.
I experimented with collaging the smaller photos onto one of the enlarged photocopies.
My final two works are of the main boat (my boat), enlarged by over 1000% with collages of the smaller "engine" photos on top. One of them is the result of shredding the smaller phtographs and then sticking the pieces over the enlarged photocopy in stripes. The other is a collage of the engine photos in their original size and shape, over the enlarged boat photo.
I wanted to make the point about how vital the engine is to the boat - ie it won't function without an engine - but would just drift.
I hope to experiment with doing the same in reverse, plastering boat pictures over the top of an enlarged picture of a boat engine.
My entire collection of boat and engine pictures is included in both collages. However none of the pictures is intact. They are overlapped and cut so that their individualness is lost. The collection is artificial. The pictures come from all over the web - they're blended in my blog and further lose their definition in the collage.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment